Easily train all your tutors in a self-paced, online environment.
Tutor Essentials is the only web-based tutor training course endorsed by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
Designed to be used as a component of your tutor training program or as stand-alone training, Tutor Essentials is a self-paced, online course that equips tutors with the tools and tactics necessary to become a great tutor. The highly engaging course includes interactive elements such as real tutoring scenario videos, quizzes, and the creation of a personal tutoring philosophy statement. The entire training program takes 3-5 hours. The course can be completed in one sitting but also gives tutors the ability to save their work and complete it over multiple sessions. Tutor Essentials was developed by Purdue University in partnership with Study Edge, with input from CRLA certification volunteers, Emory University, Clemson University, IUPUI, and others.
These schools use Tutor Essentials. Shouldn't you?
What does the course cover?
Tutor Essentials is endorsed by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) and counts towards 4 hours of Level 1 Certification training.
|Tutor Essentials Module||Potential CRLA Certification Topics|
|Ethics (plus introduction)||Definition of tutoring and tutor responsibilities|
|Basic tutoring guidelines (dos and don'ts)|
|Compliance with ethics and philosophy of the tutor program, sexual harassment, and/or plagiarism|
|Session Management & Leadership||Techniques for succesfully beginning and ending a tutor session|
|Setting goals and/or planning||Communication||Communication skills|
|Active listening and paraphrasing|
|Approaches to Learning Module plus Conclusion||Adult learners, learning theory, and/or learning styles|
Our goal is that the training will not only have a positive impact on Purdue students and tutors, but also serve as a resource for students and tutors around the world.
I highly recommend this course to anyone training tutors! The breadth and depth of this online module cannot be matched. From ethics to body language to self-reflection, this module facilitates an education in tutoring unlike anything I have seen.
We use Tutor Essentials and it is wonderful. The tutors enjoyed it and it is a very effective tool to use as a CRLA certified training component! All the modules are great and I found that it is a great tool to use prior to our "in-person" training and gives them a firm foundation to build upon before they actually start tutoring. Well worth the cost and highly effective.
Purchasing TE codes in bulk saves our department money, enables us to plan for the purchase in our budget at the beginning of the fiscal year, reduces the risk of running out of training codes, and helps keep our program running smoothly with trained student tutors.
The online course definitely helped me think of tutoring in a better way. I’m responsible for helping the student become independent and able. That’s the best lesson they taught me.
I found the Tutor Essentials online training program to be helpful because it covered specific scenarios that we face as tutors and how to handle them. Also because the training was self-paced, I was able to go back to sections of the course that I found particularly useful and really reinforce the material.
Why use Tutor Essentials?
- CRLA endorsed: Counts towards 4 hours of Level 1 CRLA Certification - a great way to get on track for CRLA certification for your learning center, or if you are already CRLA certified it will free up those hours of in-person training to focus on other topics.
- Facilitates tutor training: Allows you to easily train all of your tutors without having to find a common meeting time or big enough space. Tutors complete the training on their own time and at their own pace.
- Trusted content: Ensures high-quality training for your tutors developed by Purdue University and supported by research in tutoring best practices.
- A lifetime resource for tutors: Provides tutors with a lifetime license to the training, allowing them to return to the material at any time.
- Easy to monitor: Access an administrative panel to track your tutors’ progress in completing the training and be notified when they’re done.
- Affordable: No minimum purchase, each training costs only $20, and annual licenses available for institutions at a lower per-tutor cost.
- Certified upon completion: Tutors receive a Trained in Tutor Essentials Badge, which allows them to be listed on Tutor Matching Service, an online tutor marketplace used by colleges and K-12 schools across the US.
Tutor Essentials is available at the individual price of $20/training. If you are looking to train larger numbers of tutors, you may want to consider our annual licenses. With this option, we will automatically add your desired number of training codes to your administrative panel for access all year long. Tutors retain lifetime access to the course after completion.
Want to learn more about this course?
The Essentials Courses
Tutor Essentials is part of a series of online courses designed to help college students succeed both inside and outside of the classroom. Check out the other courses in the series:
- Online Tutoring Essentials: This two-hour, self-paced online course includes everything tutors need to confidently create a collaborative and engaging online tutoring space. The course covers online session preparation, communication, active learning, goal setting, and more. Institutions and individuals can purchase licensing for Online Tutoring Essentials and Tutor Essentials as a bundle or separately.
- Study Essentials: Created to give students the skills they need to be successful in college, Study Essentials is a series of modules covering topics such as time management, test-taking, and organizational skills. Designed to help students build their foundational academic skills, the videos use near-peers to guide students through research-based best practices. Institutions can build their own course using some or all of the 30+ Study Essentials modules.
- Life Essentials: Preparing for the future is about more than academic success. Life Essentials is a series of modules designed to help students navigate challenges that come after the classroom. Modules include career development, personal finance, relationships, and physical and mental health. Institutions can select from more than 35 modules to build a custom course that equips students for success post-graduation.