Easily train all your tutors in a self-paced, online environment.
Tutor Essentials is the only web-based tutor training course endorsed by CRLA (College Reading and Learning Association).
Tutor Essentials was developed by Purdue University in partnership with TMS, with input from CRLA certification volunteers, Emory University, Clemson University, IUPUI, and others. The course is interactive (through videos, quizzes, and the creation of a tutoring philosophy statement), highly engaging, self-paced, and offers the tools and tactics necessary to become a great in-person or online tutor. It’s self-paced and takes 3-5 hours to complete. The entire training program can be completed in one sitting and also gives tutors the ability to save their work and complete it in several sittings.
These schools use Tutor Essentials. Shouldn't you?
What does the course cover?
CRLA Certification Training Level 1 Topic Alignment
|Tutor Essentials Module||Potential CRLA Certification Topics|
|Ethics (plus introduction)||Definition of tutoring and tutor responsibilities|
|Basic tutoring guidelines (dos and don'ts)|
|Compliance with ethics and philosophy of the tutor program, sexual harassment, and/or plagiarism|
|Session Management & Leadership||Techniques for succesfully beginning and ending a tutor session|
|Setting goals and/or planning||Communication||Communication skills|
|Active listening and paraphrasing|
|Approaches to Learning Module plus Conclusion||Adult learners, learning theory, and/or learning styles|
use Tutor Essentials
have been trained
in Tutor Essentials
This is an excellent new tutor training curriculum that can be implemented immediately.
Our goal is that the training will not only have a positive impact on Purdue students and tutors, but also serve as a resource for students and tutors around the world.
The quizzes are really strong. The answers made me reflect on the material and ensured that tutors will really read and comprehend the material.
Why use Tutor Essentials?
- Counts towards 4 hours of Level 1 CRLA Certification - a great way to get on track for CRLA certification for your learning center, or if you are already CRLA certified it will free up those hours of in-person training to focus on other topics.
- Allows you to easily train all of your tutors without having to find a common meeting time or big enough space. Tutors complete the training on their own time and at their own pace.
- Ensures high quality training for your tutors that was developed by Purdue University and supported by research in tutoring best practices.
- Provides tutors with a lifetime license to the training, allowing them to return to the material at any time.
- Access an administrative panel to track your tutors’ progress in completing the training and be notified when they’re done.
- No minimum purchase, with each training only $20, and annual licenses available for institutions at a lower per-tutor cost.
- Tutors receive a Trained in Tutor Essentials Badge
Tutor Essentials is available at the individual price of $20/training. If you are looking to train larger numbers of tutors, you may want to consider our annual licenses. With this option, we will automatically add your desired number of trainings to your administrative panel for you to access all year long. These pricing options are for the fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th), however if this causes challenges for you, just let us know and we can work out the best option for your institution.
Want to learn more about this course?